Our Mission Statement
At Martenscoft, we are committed to providing high quality care, education and support in a welcoming and safe environment for children, families and our local community. All are encouraged to learn and have fun in our creative and vibrant centre where everyone is given the opportunity to express their individuality and be at the heart of everything we do.
Our Vision and Ethos
Our vision and ethos is very much centred on our agreed image of the child. At Martenscroft, this image is based on mutual respect. It is our belief that every child can teach us through child led explorations to learn and grow to become competent learners. We have high expectations for every child, regardless of need and is our ambition for every child to succeed and be fully included in all aspects of school life.
We have collectively agreed a set of values that are important to the whole school community. These reflect our beliefs about how young children learn.
- Children are able to communicate in a range of ways . Children are encouraged to express their uniqueness.
- Children are creative thinkers who can problem solve through the possibility of endless exploration
- Children feel curious and are engaged and participate fully in their learning. They are independent learners
- Children feel secure and are comfortable in their own skin. They have close relationships with their key workers and more widely within the staff teams.
- Children develop a positive sense of belonging and are able to contribute to the whole school community
- Children are curious and are encouraged to take supported, safe risks in their learning. Children are always encouraged to have "a can do" nature
- Nursery class provision for 3 to 4 year olds.
- Children’s Centre services.
- Full childcare from 4 months to 5 years.
- Free 15 hours childcare for 2 year children.
- As a designated National Teaching School, we offer support and training.
- We are a Manchester Local Authority maintained provision led by a Governing Body and Headteacher.
- As a fully integrated School and Centre we have a large multi-disciplinary team and work with a wide range of partner agencies and professionals to ensure quality provision, which meets the individual needs of children and families.
Our unique provision for children
We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. Our planning is very much child centred and we follow children's interests and passions as a starting point to each child's learning. We ask parents about their child's current interests and ensure this forms the basis for ongoing activities. We believe in developing high quality interactions and identify children's next steps in response to their play. Play is always planned for the appropriate ages and stages of the children. We are proud that our children become effective learners.
We follow "Letters and Sounds" as our phonics programme. We concentrate very much on phase 1 phonics which is based on developing children's listening and attention skills.
We use a system called "Making Children's Learning Visible" to track progress alongside Development Matters. This system allows us to view each child's individual progress and gives us a holistic picture of teaching and learning. We use our tracking to quickly identify gaps and plan appropriately.
Our quality learning environment both inside and outside, provides opportunities for children to explore, create, challenge, engage and express their interests independently.
We work jointly with artists, museums and galleries to develop creative approaches to learning. This creative approach awakens curiosity and wonder, encourages exploration, develops ideas and expands on children’s interests which develop individual characteristics of learning and knowledge.
Personalised Learning - Personalising the learning journey
Getting to know the individual child and building positive relationships are paramount for their needs. Careful observations and assessments by skilled practitioners are the foundation to planning learning activities that are matched to children’s interests and stages of development, ensuring every child reaches their full potential. These are carefully captured in a variety of ways including, photographs, film and written accounts. These form the basis of our children’s records. We use our online platform, Tapestry to share each child's journey with their parent/carer.
Parents/Carers and Community
We are committed to supporting families and have the philosophy that it is crucial to work in close partnership with parents/carers in all the work we do throughout the school and centre. Martenscroft offers a range of services, including health, care and education. We fully promote opportunities which are local and accessible to all families in our community.